seidoo_ryuu: (CoH Fyrus)
[personal profile] seidoo_ryuu
This is likely only going to be interesting to...oh, about three or four of you who read my LJ. XD But I've been meaning to post this for ages, and since there's no time like the present... ^^

When I play CoH, I play it for more than just the "whee video game!" aspect. That's fun, but I love the RP aspect. I've always loved RPGs, and in City, I've got an awesome group of people I play with regularly, and it allows me to really get into character and have fun. I've got extensive back stories for most of my characters; they're things I wrote out while I was putting them together so that I can get a handle on each character and why they act the way they do.

The downside of this is that I'm extremely nervous about posting this, because I don't know if it makes any sense. XD;; I mean, it makes sense to me, but it might sound completely crazy to other people. You do not want to know how long it's taken me to post this. ^^;; This is really rough, and it's not a 'fic' of sorts; it's more of an infodump. It's also pretty long--be forewarned. ^^;;; So I apologize if it is disjointed and somewhat incoherent. For those who team with me regularly, I thought it might be fun for you to see where I'm coming from, with his character. ^^

So, without further waffling...

Fyrus

Real name: Aidan MacAulay
Age: 25
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Red/strawberry blond
Archetype: Scrapper
Origin: Mutant
Power: Fiery Melee
Secondary: Regeneration

Aidan was a bit of a late bloomer, so to speak, with regard to his mutant powers. They manifested when he was in his mid-20s. While he has always had the ability to heal fast, his parents just chalked it up to him being more robust than his siblings and playmates, rather than admit he might be different. Although his paternal grandfather was also a mutant, his parents chose not to consider that the powers might have skipped a generation. Aidan’s father has never shown any mutant abilities; it is unknown if they do not exist or are simply latent, and he is not willing to undergo testing to find out.

Aidan’s childhood and upbringing were fairly unremarkable. He grew up in Skokie, Illinois. His parents are both alive and still married. He has two younger siblings; a sister, Meagan, and a brother, Sean, both in their early 20s. Neither sibling has shown any mutant abilities thus far. To Aidan’s knowledge, there is nothing remarkable for mutations in his mother’s family line. His parents showed a reluctance to talk about mutations and heroes; Aidan’s grandfather died relatively young in battle, and they did not want to even consider that any of their children might follow the same path and meet the same end. As a result, the matter with his grandfather has been kept hushed-up, for the most part.

Aidan’s grandfather died when Aidan was six years old; he has some memories of him, but not many. His younger siblings do not remember him at all. Mainly, Aidan remembers the stories his grandfather told him, as he was not shy about telling his grandson about his life as a hero. If he had lived, he likely would’ve recognized the signs that Aidan had inherited mutant powers, and watched him closely to determine when they would manifest. It is also likely that his parents did suspect Aidan’s ability to heal fast was actually regeneration powers, but if they did, they never said anything about it. Possibly they downplayed their significance, partially out of denial that their firstborn son might be different, or might turn out to be just like his grandfather, and likely with good reason. It should be noted that his parents’ feelings on the subject are not because they are prejudiced against mutants, but mainly out of fear for the safety of their children. As mentioned before, they didn’t want any of their children to meet the same end as Aidan’s grandfather. With Aidan, their fears were likely well-founded, because even with his sturdy nature, he has always had a tendency to get himself into trouble, more so than his siblings.

As a child, Aidan adored his grandfather’s stories, and dreamed of being a hero. As he grew older, he slowly let go of that dream. This was due in part to his parents’ very strong opinions that his grandfather’s death could have been prevented, if he were not a hero. Aidan also didn’t think he had any ‘hero powers’, and he wasn’t smart enough to figure out how to enhance himself. He did what he could to strengthen himself, and has always been interested in physical activity and exercise. As a result, he has a very muscular, athletic physique, and cuts an intimidating figure.

Aidan has never thought of himself as a scholar, or particularly bright, so he never applied himself in school. He did graduate, by the skin of his teeth. He decided to pass on college; he’d always been strong, so he decided that there was a future career for him as a bodyguard/bouncer, and you didn’t need a college degree to do that. This insight served him well; his size and apparent ability to brawl forever without tiring meant that he was high in demand, particularly in the rougher areas of the city.

Aidan’s fire powers manifested when he was about 24 years old, when his fists burst into flame in the middle of a bodyguard job gone wrong. Despite having the effect of turning the tide of the battle to his favor, he was confused and more than a little alarmed, particularly when he discovered that the “flaming fists” effect was not just an isolated incident. He went to his doctor, who sent him to a specialist. The specialist was able to confirm that it was a manifestation of a mutation, and also confirmed that what Aidan had thought was just a robust nature was actually regenerative powers. At first, Aidan was more than a bit at sea about this new change in his life, but finally decided it was his opportunity to become a hero, like he’d always wanted to do. This career change was made easier because he could no longer get work as a bouncer (no one wanted a bouncer who incinerated the patrons). He also became aware that he was treading dangerous ground as a freelancing super-powered bodyguard, and that if he made any false moves, he would land himself into trouble. In order to prevent this from happening and becoming an outlaw, he knew he would have to learn to work with his powers and do right by them. He is well aware that one misstep could have sent him down a completely different path.

Having to learn to work with his powers at his age has not been easy. Since strength training has been a part of his life for so long, bulking up his powers has come easier to him than learning how to control them, which has been no small source of frustration. He has been very impatient to learn as much as he can as quickly as possible, in order to catch up to the rest of his team. He has a tendency to wade into the thick of battle and attack, with little forethought to strategy. Now that he is dealing with much tougher enemies than he did as a bouncer, this has gotten him into trouble more than once. Because of his regen abilities, he tends to forget he’s not invincible. He also tends to get immersed in the battle and fight with a single-minded determination, tuning out everything else around him, and can sometimes miss things his teammates try to tell him. He initially had trouble adjusting to the role of a teammate, as he was far more used to working on his own, with no backup. However, this does not mean he does not value his teammates; indeed, part of why he is so willing to take the brunt of the attack is to prevent them from getting injured.

Aidan is easygoing with his friends, and enjoys being part of a group where he can joke around with the others. He still has a hot temper, and often loses it when a battle is not going his way. Aidan does not like feeling as though he is a liability to his team, or that he is holding anyone back or causing problems for anyone, and this tends to cause its own problems when he takes this too far. Despite this, he generally has a great deal of self-confidence, and has a tendency to be a show-off, especially if there is a pretty girl nearby. His years as a bouncer lead him to develop a somewhat coarse vocabulary, which he is trying very hard to clean up.

His hero name comes from the childhood taunts he used to endure. Since he was gifted with red hair (his grandfather was also a redhead, although his powers were not fire-based), he’s heard it all. He thought it strangely appropriate that his classmates used to call him “hothead”; they may have just been taunts, but still eerily precognitive (Aidan’s hair also used to be a much deeper shade of flame red, when he was younger; it has faded as he has aged). In high school, his hot temper and red hair earned him the nickname “Fiery” among his friends, and he decided to keep that with some slight alterations, resulting in Fyrus.

Aidan believes in ‘earning his keep’ around the base and will gladly help out in any way that is requested of him, although he really hates being put on bathroom-cleaning duty. He’ll do it without complaining, although he’ll sulk about it. He’s also not sure what he’s looking for in a girlfriend, but says he’ll know when he sees her, and in the meantime, he is greatly enjoying the “looking” part of the search. He’ll admit that he has a roving eye. However, he is not a “Lothario”, and tries to be respectful of the females in the group and on his team.

Trivial Notes:

* Aidan hates bananas.
* His zodiac sign is Aries; his birthdate is March 31.
* Aidan really, really hates wearing spandex. He believes that no one should be able to see that much of him, unless he is showing it to them deliberately.
* Aidan has no tattoos, though not from lack of trying. He had gotten tattoos in the past, but they always healed up and disappeared, so he stopped wasting the money. This was before he realized that this is likely due to his regenerative powers.
* He gets very loquacious when he has been drinking, which has lead to him lay off the stuff, since he can never remember what he said afterward and has embarrassed himself more than once this way.
* Aidan loves gadgets, although he’s not good at working with them and tends to break them when he tinkers with them. His wings are one of the gadgets he has acquired, since he technically does not need wings to fly.

(no subject)

Date: 2009-02-22 03:30 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dhaunea.livejournal.com
You totally make me want to play this game.

(no subject)

Date: 2009-02-22 03:31 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] laridian.livejournal.com
Jooooooiiiiinnn ussssssss.....

(no subject)

Date: 2009-02-22 03:33 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] dhaunea.livejournal.com
Unfortunately, my computer can barely handle the graphics for WoW. *sighs* Once I manage to get the new computer, I think I need to look into this game.

(no subject)

Date: 2009-02-22 03:37 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] laridian.livejournal.com
[livejournal.com profile] seidoo_ryuu should have friends codes left, to give you a 2-week trial period. If not, they can be scared up pretty easily. ^_^

(no subject)

Date: 2009-02-22 05:26 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] seidoo-ryuu.livejournal.com
It's fun! It's so very much fun. ^_^ But yeah, I would recommend maybe waiting until you upgrade your computer to give it a shot. ^^;;; I mean, I was able to run it on mine, with a semi-decent video card and only 512MB of RAM, but it lagged horribly. Once I upgraded to 2GB of RAM, it runs much more nicely now. ^^

One thing that I like--and I think you will, too, since I know we both appreciate the snark--is the things that the NPCs say, as you're traveling around the zones. They're hilarious! XD

If you ever need a referral, I can get you set up. :)

(no subject)

Date: 2009-02-22 10:11 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] iceraptoress.livejournal.com
This made perfect sense to me, nice work! It's interesting to find out a little more about Fyrus. And I'm glad, for his sake, that his parents didn't deny his mutancy because of being against it, but due instead to being worried for his safety.

Fyrus is a likeable guy and my characters are quite fond of him. Takuya enjoyed teaming with him and Amber would probably really enjoy a little socializing with him outside the team. ^_^

Well done!

(no subject)

Date: 2009-02-24 04:50 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] seidoo-ryuu.livejournal.com
Thank you! ^_^ I've been poking at this practically since Fyr was first created--it's a work in progress as his character grows and changes. It's been a lot of fun! I like making my characters dynamic; it makes things more interesting. ^^

Fyr's parents are, on one level, worriers. They're a lot like my parents, in that way. ^^ But really, I tried to make them as realistic as possible. They worried for Fyr when he was a bouncer, too, but at least then he wasn't lighting people on fire and going after enemies like radioactive plant monsters and robots and spellcasting hellbeasts. :P I figure his mother, in particular, has gotten more than her fair share of grey hairs since he got into this heroing business. ^^;;;

Aww, Fyr is very glad to hear that your characters are fond of him. ^_^ I know I mentioned this a long time ago, but Fyr really likes teaming with Takuya because he sort of reminds him of his younger brother (Fyr thinks Tak is very intelligent, and so is Sean, so there's where the connection comes from). As for Amber, I don't think it would take much arm-twisting to convince him to do a little socializing with her outside of a team setting. ;)

Thanks for reading; I'm glad you liked it! ^_^

Profile

seidoo_ryuu: (Default)
Sara

May 2016

S M T W T F S
1234567
8910 11121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031    

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags