seidoo_ryuu: (Link:  Pensive)
[personal profile] seidoo_ryuu
It's definitely a Monday. It has hit the point of winter where I stare at the calendar every day, and wish it would go faster toward Spring. I'm so tired of snow and cold and ice and grey.

I don't really have anything important to share, other than a quote I found, which I rather like:

"These are not books, lumps of lifeless paper, but minds alive on the shelves."
--Gilbert Highet

I figure that anyone who reads as escapism, like I do, and tends to get drawn fully into the stories they read, can relate to this quote. ^^

(no subject)

Date: 2010-02-15 05:58 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] darthanne.livejournal.com
I like that quote. Sadly there are still too many people out there who don't read - they can but they choose to do other things instead of reading for fun. I very much read for escapm too - a fact that really comes home if I find myself reading a lot more than usual.

(no subject)

Date: 2010-02-16 02:54 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] seidoo-ryuu.livejournal.com
Agreed, and it's a pity. To me, reading is one of life's greatest pleasures, and there's nothing better than a well-told story. Heh, I'm also one of those purists who think that books should be on paper, not electronic media. :P

(no subject)

Date: 2010-02-16 07:05 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] kin-thalas.livejournal.com
Oh yes, I love that quote. Books are the thoughts, dreams and wishes of people we'll never met for some reason, but were willing to share them with us. Books were the best invention ever. (did someone say the wheel?)

(no subject)

Date: 2010-02-16 02:58 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] seidoo-ryuu.livejournal.com
Agreed, on all counts. ^_^ I love being able to completely lose myself in a well-told story, and that's one of the things I love about books: I can use my imagination to fill in the visuals/etc. That's also why I write--I like being able to share the crazy stuff my imagination throws at me with others, and have them enjoy it, too.

And yes, agreed--books are the best invention, ever! ^^

Profile

seidoo_ryuu: (Default)
Sara

May 2016

S M T W T F S
1234567
8910 11121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031    

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags