I've lived in Minnesota for my entire life. For those who have never spent any considerable time in the northern Midwest, the concept of 'hot dish' is rather foreign. Sure, you have your 'casseroles', but it's really not quite the same. Hot dish is comfort food, food for nights when you don't feel like putting much effort into cooking. It's budget food, meant to be thrown together with inexpensive ingredients or leftovers, to make a meal that feeds a family without being extremely expensive. It's a hot, complete meal, incorporating meat, vegetables, and a starch, all bound together with cream soup and (sometimes) topped with crushed potato chips.
Anyone who has not experienced a warm tuna noodle casserole on a cold Friday night simply hasn't lived, in my opinion.
Anyway, one of my only complaints about hot dish is that, unfortunately, simply because of the sum of its parts, it can be kinda bland. Which takes some of the comfort out of comfort food...you want it to taste good, darnit. So I've been doctoring this simple recipe for tater-tot hot dish, and in my mind, it's an improvement.
Tater Tot Hotdish
Ingredients:
2 pounds ground beef (I've never tried it this way, but I'm sure ground turkey or ground chicken would work just as well)
1 large onion, chopped (dried onion will also work)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery soup
OR
2 cans cheddar cheese soup
(The first is the original version. The second is my version. Either way, the recipe calls to thin the soup with a bit of water, but I like to add about 1/3 cup milk, instead, since they're cream-based soups.)
1 pkg frozen mixed vegetables
Tater tots
Brown ground beef and onion (When I do this step, I will add a dash of garlic salt, and a liberal splash of liquid smoke. Liquid smoke is wonderful stuff. It adds a nice, smoky flavor to foods, without a lot of salt and seasoning). Put vegetables on the bottom of a 9x13" baking dish (do not thaw the vegetables first). Drain ground beef, then layer over the vegetables. Pour soups over the top of the meat and vegetables, then follow with a single layer of tater tots (At this point, when the tater tot layer is complete, I sprinkle the tots with seasoning salt, prior to baking). Bake for 1-1/2 hours at 350ºF, until tater tots are golden brown.
Anyone who has not experienced a warm tuna noodle casserole on a cold Friday night simply hasn't lived, in my opinion.
Anyway, one of my only complaints about hot dish is that, unfortunately, simply because of the sum of its parts, it can be kinda bland. Which takes some of the comfort out of comfort food...you want it to taste good, darnit. So I've been doctoring this simple recipe for tater-tot hot dish, and in my mind, it's an improvement.
Tater Tot Hotdish
Ingredients:
2 pounds ground beef (I've never tried it this way, but I'm sure ground turkey or ground chicken would work just as well)
1 large onion, chopped (dried onion will also work)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery soup
OR
2 cans cheddar cheese soup
(The first is the original version. The second is my version. Either way, the recipe calls to thin the soup with a bit of water, but I like to add about 1/3 cup milk, instead, since they're cream-based soups.)
1 pkg frozen mixed vegetables
Tater tots
Brown ground beef and onion (When I do this step, I will add a dash of garlic salt, and a liberal splash of liquid smoke. Liquid smoke is wonderful stuff. It adds a nice, smoky flavor to foods, without a lot of salt and seasoning). Put vegetables on the bottom of a 9x13" baking dish (do not thaw the vegetables first). Drain ground beef, then layer over the vegetables. Pour soups over the top of the meat and vegetables, then follow with a single layer of tater tots (At this point, when the tater tot layer is complete, I sprinkle the tots with seasoning salt, prior to baking). Bake for 1-1/2 hours at 350ºF, until tater tots are golden brown.
(no subject)
Date: 2013-03-18 04:40 am (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2013-03-18 05:22 am (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2013-03-18 10:05 am (UTC)I wonder if I can do this with "sweet potato puffs" (a sweet potato tater tot)?
to quote Scotty "I'll let you know" :)
(no subject)
Date: 2013-03-19 01:57 am (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2013-03-19 12:22 am (UTC)And comfort food from leftovers is just great. It sometimes even tastes better than fresh prepared dishes!
(no subject)
Date: 2013-03-19 04:31 am (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2013-03-19 07:26 pm (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2013-03-19 10:29 pm (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2013-03-19 11:29 pm (UTC)Although, I do seem to recall that there have been attempts at Hawaiian burgers, but they've kinda not done so well? I've never really tried beef and pineapple, so I don't know...
(no subject)
Date: 2013-03-20 12:10 am (UTC)The basic meat + fruit combination is fine, but not with the whole dish and additional ingredients. A gravy or non-cream sauce with a different type of starch, such as rice, would work far better with pineapple and beef than the recipe offered. Pineapple is a fantastic dish pick-me-up, but it is not a good catch-all for every sort of hot dish/casserole, especially not cream-based ones.
(no subject)
Date: 2013-03-19 11:31 pm (UTC)Could be a cultural thing! Most Americans are okay with a pineapple/pork combo...sometimes pineapple/chicken...but aren't too adventurous, when it comes to pineapple/beef. XD The apples do sound interesting, because mmmm, baked apples...