It has been ages and ages since I wrote for my CoH characters...I really haven't had much incentive, but the characters are still there, and some of them still have stories to tell. When the game closed, my belief is that my characters all went on with their lives, doing whatever, some getting married and having families, that sort of thing. Kind of a 'happily into the sunset' scenario. So, that's what's going on here...that, and a good dose of silliness. :P
Of course, it wouldn't be one of my fics if it didn't have a completely ridiculous title...
Title: Beach Party
Fandom: City of Heroes
Characters: Atratus, Harlequine Rogue
Word Count: 3,098
Warnings: None
Spanky's Boardwalk, in Talos Island, had always been a popular summer tourist spot. The boardwalk flanked a white sand beach, nestled up against the neighborhood's docks and industrial district, with a small amusement park separating work from pleasure. Food vendors moved in every May, hawking their treats from carts strategically placed to lure customers away from their competition, and the usually-vacant buildings were rented out by carnival groups, hoping to part vacationers from their money with souvenirs and games of chance. Some enterprising folk had even created two levels of challenges: one for 'regular' humans, and one for 'superhumans', or supposed supers, with the winners getting bragging rights in addition to plush toys.
The supers, themselves, rarely paused to rise to the bait of such challenges. They were far too busy keeping the gangs and criminal groups off the beaches, chasing them out of carefully-laid territories in order to make room for families and beach umbrellas, more food carts, and strategically-spaced lifeguard chairs. A few supers even loaned their skills to this duty, especially those with the ability to breathe underwater, or those with water-based powers, in general. Organized groups of heroes roamed the beach, scanning for any sign of trouble, be it villain groups trying to creep back onto the beach, floundering swimmers, or the occasional foolish shark who got too close.
It was complete insanity for a Longbow-identified villain to come anywhere near the Boardwalk, much less arrive with a picnic basket and a beach tote. And yet, here he was, a blanket draped over one arm, searching for an empty spot on the crowded beach. Atratus sighed. Of all the foolhardy ideas that I have been talked into...
Next to him, Harrly bounced on the balls of her feet with barely-contained excitement. She was dressed in a yellow and green halter-top bikini, her blonde hair pulled back in thick ponytails. She'd removed her familiar domino mask, but had tucked it inside their beach tote, 'just in case.' Which wasn't a bad idea. Neither of them were actively working as villains anymore; they had retired, shortly before the wedding. Atratus himself was doing freelance work with security firms and private businesses, and had found enough success to be well in demand, giving them income enough to enjoy a comfortable quality of life. Harrly had settled cheerfully into the role of housewife, although she would still slip into old stalker habits, when doing the grocery shopping, to keep her skills fresh. Her reactions were still as sharp as they were from back when they'd been attacking Arachnos and Longbow, in the Rogue Isles. However, Longbow had a long memory...as did many of the heroes they'd crossed, during their days as working villains, and heroes talked. Notoriety was a very real thing, and 'retirement' was rarely an accepted excuse to avoid getting made into an example for other villains.
"There's a spot!" she squealed, grabbing Atratus' arm and pointing, still jumping up and down. "There!" Sure enough, she pointed to a sizable gap between the cluster of beach blankets, and dragged him over to the spot to claim it.
Atratus stifled another sigh. He felt very self-conscious, wearing only a pair of red and black swimming trunks, the crisscrossing patterns of scars standing out against the tanned skin of his bare chest. "Love, are you absolutely certain about this...?"
Harrly stared up at him, her nose scrunched. "What? You don't like this spot? It's not a bad spot..."
"No, it is not the spot. I am concerned that we are...very exposed here."
"Don't worry! Trae, we'll be fine. My parents used to take me to the beach all the time, when I was little, and no one pays attention to anyone else there, unless they're naked or making a scene. As long as we don't cause trouble, who'll notice?" She gave him a sad look. "Unless you wanna leave..."
Atratus stifled another sigh. They did have beaches in the Rogue Isles...but they were not good for relaxation. The groups that had settled in there were far more stubborn than the gangs in Paragon City, and either fought back, or snuck back in after a short time. Even in St. Martial, which attracted a lot of visitors and tourists, none dared the beaches, as the Wailers were a pervasive problem that even Arachnos couldn't chase off completely. To add insult to injury, even if they were able to clear out enemies, the water was typically too cold for swimming, and the perpetually overcast sky made sunbathing pointless.
Which Harrly had pointed out, when she had told him about her desire to go to the beach. "Trae, it doesn't make any sense to go to the beach here; it isn't fun," she'd said. "Why can't we go somewhere fun?"
"I understand that, love, but...you do realize that going 'somewhere fun' will likely mean 'Paragon City'?" He knew she had bad memories of the City; she still blamed Longbow for the death of her mother, and her father's slow decline into paranoid insanity.
Harrly had chewed her lip, but then looked at him, a determined expression on her face. "Yes. And we're going. And you're gonna win me a giant stuffed animal, and we are gonna have cotton candy and sno-cones and build sandcastles."
He'd given up, after that. He had seen that determined expression enough to know that no combination of words, warnings, or begging would dissuade Harrly from her chosen path. It did not help that she had then chosen to tell him her memories, as a child, of being taken to the beach by her parents, and his fate had been sealed.
~*~
They had settled in the open spot, with Atratus spreading out their beach blanket, and Harrly spreading out a large towel next to it. Harrly was humming as she slathered cocoa butter on her skin, looking surprisingly at ease for being completely exposed in a crowded public area in the middle of Paragon City. In contrast, Atratus was on edge, alert to every movement, aware of any passing glance held longer than a handful of seconds. He had noticed, however, that they were hardly the only metahumans on the beach; he'd spotted several pairs of wings, of various types; a veritable rainbow of different skin tones, and textures not normally found on human skin. He could have sworn one of the other beach-goers, not far from their own spot, had skin made of granite. In comparison, even with his conspicuous black-feathered wings, they did not stand out.
Still, he could feel eyes on him, and children kept slowing down to stare at him with wide-eyed awe. He shifted uncomfortably as a toddler stopped and stared at him with open curiosity, one sticky hand shoved in her mouth. He stared back. She responded by removing the candy-and-saliva-coated digits from her mouth, pointing and flailing at Atratus' wings and squealing, "Bir'man! Bir'man!" Atratus muttered in response, trying to fold his wings closer to his body, and the child's mother quicky dragged her off with a scowl, the toddler wailing the entire time about wanting to pet the 'bir'man'.
"Trae, relax. I mean, have you looked at yourself in a mirror lately?" She giggled. "You are kinda impressive."
"Hmph," he grunted, reaching into their picnic basket for the thermos and glasses. "It is still disconcerting." He poured her a glass of lemonade (she had insisted they bring it), and handed it to her, after she'd settled down on the towel.
She accepted it with a smile of thanks. "I'm gonna nap while I sunbathe. Wake me up before too long; I don't wanna burn too much." She giggled. "Some sunburn is okay, otherwise it's not a good trip to the beach!" He chuckled in response, relaxing a bit, and she pillowed her head on her arms, wriggling as she got comfortable.
He had thought to bring a book, and he reclined on the blanket, tucking his wings behind him carefully. The murmur of the sea, combined with distant chatter and laughter was actually relaxing, and he allowed his guard to drop. The scent of the warm sand and the sea mingled with the sweet smells of cotton candy and funnel cakes, lulling him further into calm relaxation. Perhaps people are on to something, when they say this is a calming endeavor.
It did not last long.
"Hey...look! Isn't that Atratus?"
"Where?!"
"On that blanket over there."
"Wow...yeah! But what's he doing here?"
"Um...sunbathing?"
"Don't be stupid; he's a thief and an assassin! Maybe he's planning to do something cool."
Atratus looked up without lifting his head, peering over the edge of the book. A small cluster of boys, most of them looking to be around 12 years old, had gathered just within earshot and were staring at him with a mixture of awe and trepidation.
"Wow, he looks JUST like his picture on his 'Rogues and Assassins' trading card!"
"Of course he does, dummy; that's his picture on there!"
"But where are his swords? He's never seen without his swords. The card says so."
"I dunno, I don't see them..."
"But that don't make no sense; why would he go unarmed?"
"Dude, seriously? He don't NEED his swords; he's a weapon, himself!"
"Oooh, maybe he's gonna rob a bank! That'd be so cool!"
Harrly chose that moment to reach up and untie the back of her bikini, letting the fabric fall to her sides as she settled down again. The attention of the group was immediately drawn to Harrly.
"Wait, who's he with?"
"I dunno, I don't recognize her. She's hot!"
There was a burst of giggling. "Hey guys...if we poke her, maybe she'll roll over, and..." There was more guffawing, and much elbowing as the group started inching closer.
"Maybe we can startle her...Hey, give me your sno-cone."
"What?! No man, that's mine! Get your own!"
"Yeah, you gonna pass up a chance to see boobs, 'cause you want to keep your sno-cone?"
The group was practically squirming with anticipatory excitement, inching ever closer. Atratus finally peered at the group over the edges of his sunglasses and cleared his throat loudly.
As one, the group looked at him, and realized he was staring at them. Immediately they scattered, yelling and laughing as they ran. He sighed heavily, shaking his head. "I should have brought my swords," he muttered.
Harrly mumbled. "They're just kids, and the sno-cone trick wouldn't have worked, anyway. Calm down, Trae. And I want to see this 'Rogues and Assassins' card of yours."
"I do not know what you are talking about."
"Uh huh. And how come I saw something about trading cards on your NetBay online bidding history?" she giggled.
"I am sure I do not have any idea what you are implying. Perhaps I was seeing if there was such a card for you."
"Mmhmm," she giggled. "I'm sure that's what it was." She flipped over onto her back, deftly holding her bikini top in place. "Hand me a sandwich, will you? Then, you can go get us some sno-cones."
Atratus paused, one hand hovering over the picnic basket. "You will have to re-tie your bikini if we are to--"
"No, I'm staying here; you go get them and bring them back." She peered at him, nose wrinkling. "What, you need help carrying the sno-cones? We only need two. Oooh, and I want mine with cherry, and grape, and lemon, and lime, and...bubble gum! If they have it."
"I was implying that I do not think it wise to leave you here alone..."
She sat up, holding her bikini top to her chest. "Trae. Re. LAX. I told you, nothing's gonna happen! No one is stupid enough to try anything, not with the beach so crowded. And besides, I dunno if you noticed, but I can kinda defend myself, too." She stared at him. "Anyway, we were talking about sno-cones..."
He sighed, reached for his wallet, and got up to find the food vendors.
~*~
"Six dollars for a cup of crushed ice and sugar syrup..." he grumbled. He held a paper cone filled with shaved ice in each hand, one of which was a riot of multicolored syrups. "And an additional dollar for each extra flavor? Bah. And they said that we were thieves..." He wasn't quite sure what to think of the sugared treat. Such things were considered off-limits, by his mother; most of the familiar carnival treats were foreign to him. His initial assessment of the sno-cone was that it was not bad...albeit overpriced.
He was aware of the occasional turned head, as he walked past, along with accompanying whispers, but noted, much to his surprise, that the comments he did manage to overhear were not alarmed recognition of who or what he was. Some commented, with admiration, upon his physique. A few made startled gasps at the map of scars across his chest. And yet others, mostly young women, admired him for reasons that made him focus very hard on his sno-cone and remind himself that he was married, and happily so, but that did not stop others from looking.
Atratus had always stood out; as a threat, as a target, as an enemy...but never as a normal person. Normal, by the standards of most, was a foreign concept to him. Now, he began to relax more, realizing that Harrly had been right; no one paid them any mind, as long as they weren't doing anything to draw attention to themselves.
But when he arrived at their spot on the beach, Harrly was nowhere to be seen. Their spot was not deserted, though; a brutish-looking man, heavily muscled and plated in a very strange set of armor in a pale shade of tan, stood on their beach blanket. The picnic basket was kicked over, sandwiches scattered in the sand, and already attracting the attention of the braver seagulls. He noted that the man had some strange, modified gauntlets that almost looked like tongs, equipped with serrated edges.
He was holding Harrly's bikini top in his hand.
Atratus felt a rush of cold anger, as well as fear, but he tamped it down, stepping closer. "Excuse me," he said icily, "can I help you?"
The behemoth turned slowly, peering at Atratus. "You! VILLAIN!" he shouted, pointing at Atratus with one gauntlet-clad hand. "What are you doing here?!"
"I believe that much is quite obvious," snapped Atratus. "I believe I am visiting the beach, with my wife. Who...or what...are you?"
The man drew himself up to his full height, which wasn't that impressive; he was more squat and short, and his head didn't clear Atratus' chest. "I am the Sand Crab!" he announced, with pride. "And I patrol this portion of the beach, looking for villains and miscreants!"
Atratus just stared. "The...Sand Crab," he said, tone bland. He heard a soft, stifled giggle nearby, and relaxed. He knew Harrly's laugh well; it would stand to reason that she'd hidden herself. "Really."
The Sand Crab flushed, under his armor. "Shut up! Lay off, okay?! D'you know how many heroes are in this town?! How hard it is to find an original name?!"
"I am aware of Paragon City's propensity to attract costumed crime fighters," he replied, his tone clipped. "What I was not aware of was that the same have been extended jurisdiction to harass tourists and visitors, based on the impression that one may be plotting evil deeds."
"Plotting, bah! I know who you are! You're Atratus. The Black Vulture! Scourge of the Swords!" He brandished the fist holding the bikini top. "It doesn't matter if you're planning something or not. You're here, and that's all that matters!"
"What I may, or may not have done in my past is just that: in my past. I have made peace with mine, and have come here for a quiet visit with my wife." His eyes narrowed. "You, however, have made quite a pest of yourself, destroying our property, and..." He nodded at the man's fist. "Stealing my wife's bikini." He raised his eyebrows. "While I am sure the colors are complementary, I do not think you and her wear the same size, as she is quite petite."
"Shut up!" yelled the Sand Crab, although he was flushing redder under his helmet. "She's a criminal, too!"
"Sunbathing is a crime?"
"She's a known criminal!"
"And you obviously tried to...ah, 'apprehend' her in such haste, that she is currently exposed somewhere, without clothing?"
"That doesn't matter! She's a--"
"A criminal, yes, you've made your point. May I ask what she has done today to earn your ire?"
"Well...uh...she..."
"Enough of this nonsense." The scene had begun to gather a crowd, and Atratus was growing irritated. "I do not know what you think I was plotting by being here, or what you possibly think I could accomplish. If I really had made plans to attack your fair city, do you think I would have gone to a very crowded beach, full of witnesses, many of whom would easily be able to identify me, to do it? Not to mention, why would I arrive in no armor or protective gear, instead wearing a bathing suit, and completely unarmed? No. Instead, you have harassed my wife, stolen her clothing, destroyed our
property, and have harassed me with these baseless charges, forcing me to stand here with two sno-cones melting down my arms--which, might I add, cost considerably more than a concoction of shaved ice and sugar syrup has any right to cost. So, what do you have to say for yourself?"
"Aw, c'mon, man," whined the hero. "I haven't had a good lead on a villain in months! This is the best I can do!"
"Harassing civilians? If I am not mistaken, sir, I do believe that your hero's license comes with provisions that strictly restrict harassing any person based on suspicion without due cause. Which you, good sir, do not have. Furthermore, I have worked quite hard to maintain a law-abiding status as a neutral citizen for several years...something else that I believe is protected under city law, and something which I do not doubt a good number of our fellow beach-goers benefit from, a well. I believe, as your heroic role models and leaders so eloquently put it, it is something called...a second chance?"
The crowd surrounding them began to murmur, glancing at Atratus with reservation and respect, and at the Sand Crab with more mutinous glares. The Sand Crab, himself, started to shift uncomfortably from foot to foot. "But...you have that 'Rogues and Assassins' card..."
"That is your criteria for due cause? A trading card? It was created without my knowledge or permission. It is certainly not a 'villainous identification card'. If that was the only criteria for villainy, I believe there would be a great many more villains attacking your city."
"Then how come your wife is hiding, if she's not a villain?"
"Um, because you stole my bikini top, and I don't feel like flashing my boobs to everyone on the beach?" Harrly's disembodied voice came from slightly behind Atratus. "Gimme my bikini top back, you big bully!"
"I'm not a--you're the villain! This is crazy! C'mon!" He whined, looking at the gathered crowd, but they were glaring at him with open disapproval now.
"Sir, I believe you have lost this particular gambit," said Atratus in clipped tones. "I would suggest you return our property, and leave us alone, before we attract the attention of--"
"Halt! Longbow!"
Atratus groaned.
~*~
The sunset across the bay in Independence Port cast dancing patterns of color across the water. Atratus and Harrly disembarked from the tram, and made their way to the submarine platform at the edge of the docks nearby.
He considered that they were both very lucky to leave with their freedom. The Longbow soldiers were inclined to side with the hero...until they got the full story. Harrly had made much of the attack, gleefully telling about how the 'hero' had pounced on her, grabbing for her and snapping up her bikini top, leaving her no choice but to use her powers to go hidden in order to avoid exposing herself to everyone on the beach. She also threw a fuss about the loss of the sno-cones. As for Atratus, many people had approached him after the air had cleared, wanting to shake his hand and congratulate him on his eloquent speech.
"I guess that Crab guy was making a real pest of himself, bullying anyone he thought looked like a villain. Which was quite a few people, most of 'em metas," said Harrly contemplatively as they walked. "Someone was saying lots of people had complained, but Longbow didn't do nothin' 'cause they never caught him in the act." She snorted, rolling her eyes. "Typical Longbow."
She was toting a massive stuffed unicorn, in a lurid shade of pink and purple, so huge, she was nearly obscured by it. Atratus had made good of his promise to win it for her. They had nearly had to buy a special ticket just for the toy, when they'd gotten to the tram station. Harrly was also wearing an "I Got Spanked At Spanky's Boardwalk" tee shirt, since the Sand Crab had shredded her bikini top in his pincher gauntlets during the scuffle, when Longbow tried to arrest him for harassing civilians.
"I am still surprised that they did not haul us in for questioning," commented Atratus. "It has not been so long since we stopped...ah, that line of work."
"Oh, they wanted to," Harrly said, shifting the plush unicorn to her other side. "But lots of eyewitnesses stepped forward to say we weren't doing anything, and when he started bugging us, we didn't try to fight him. I think it was kinda like, "Well, we'll let you go THIS time...", you know?"
"Mm," he grunted, and shifted uncomfortably. There was sand in everything, and he could not tell if that was typical for a visit to the beach, or just a side effect of the altercation with the Sand Crab. "I did not think I would ever see Longbow as...fair. Or merciful."
"They're not. They're just covering their asses and trying to look good. You gained a lot of brownie points, with the other people on the beach." She giggled. "Maybe you'll get more work! I know some of 'em were writing down your name, and they looked like business people, not card collectors."
"Very funny."
Harrly giggled, poking him in the ribs. "Well, I had fun. It's not every day you get to see Longbow arresting a hero, and letting the villains go free."
"I just am grateful that we managed to escape this, ah, adventure without being jailed," he replied. "While it was not the catastrophe I was anticipating, I am glad that we are heading home."
Harrly was silent for a long while. They soon approached the submarine, bobbing gently in the water. They paid the submariner, negotiated space for the huge plush animal, and began making their way across the gangplank to the submarine.
Before they reached the sub, Harrly turned to face him, her face shining with joy in the gathering dusk. "Trae?" she said softly, grabbing one of his hands, clutching the plush animal with her other hand.
"Yes, my love?" he said, smiling at her.
"Let's go to the beach again!"
Of course, it wouldn't be one of my fics if it didn't have a completely ridiculous title...
Title: Beach Party
Fandom: City of Heroes
Characters: Atratus, Harlequine Rogue
Word Count: 3,098
Warnings: None
Spanky's Boardwalk, in Talos Island, had always been a popular summer tourist spot. The boardwalk flanked a white sand beach, nestled up against the neighborhood's docks and industrial district, with a small amusement park separating work from pleasure. Food vendors moved in every May, hawking their treats from carts strategically placed to lure customers away from their competition, and the usually-vacant buildings were rented out by carnival groups, hoping to part vacationers from their money with souvenirs and games of chance. Some enterprising folk had even created two levels of challenges: one for 'regular' humans, and one for 'superhumans', or supposed supers, with the winners getting bragging rights in addition to plush toys.
The supers, themselves, rarely paused to rise to the bait of such challenges. They were far too busy keeping the gangs and criminal groups off the beaches, chasing them out of carefully-laid territories in order to make room for families and beach umbrellas, more food carts, and strategically-spaced lifeguard chairs. A few supers even loaned their skills to this duty, especially those with the ability to breathe underwater, or those with water-based powers, in general. Organized groups of heroes roamed the beach, scanning for any sign of trouble, be it villain groups trying to creep back onto the beach, floundering swimmers, or the occasional foolish shark who got too close.
It was complete insanity for a Longbow-identified villain to come anywhere near the Boardwalk, much less arrive with a picnic basket and a beach tote. And yet, here he was, a blanket draped over one arm, searching for an empty spot on the crowded beach. Atratus sighed. Of all the foolhardy ideas that I have been talked into...
Next to him, Harrly bounced on the balls of her feet with barely-contained excitement. She was dressed in a yellow and green halter-top bikini, her blonde hair pulled back in thick ponytails. She'd removed her familiar domino mask, but had tucked it inside their beach tote, 'just in case.' Which wasn't a bad idea. Neither of them were actively working as villains anymore; they had retired, shortly before the wedding. Atratus himself was doing freelance work with security firms and private businesses, and had found enough success to be well in demand, giving them income enough to enjoy a comfortable quality of life. Harrly had settled cheerfully into the role of housewife, although she would still slip into old stalker habits, when doing the grocery shopping, to keep her skills fresh. Her reactions were still as sharp as they were from back when they'd been attacking Arachnos and Longbow, in the Rogue Isles. However, Longbow had a long memory...as did many of the heroes they'd crossed, during their days as working villains, and heroes talked. Notoriety was a very real thing, and 'retirement' was rarely an accepted excuse to avoid getting made into an example for other villains.
"There's a spot!" she squealed, grabbing Atratus' arm and pointing, still jumping up and down. "There!" Sure enough, she pointed to a sizable gap between the cluster of beach blankets, and dragged him over to the spot to claim it.
Atratus stifled another sigh. He felt very self-conscious, wearing only a pair of red and black swimming trunks, the crisscrossing patterns of scars standing out against the tanned skin of his bare chest. "Love, are you absolutely certain about this...?"
Harrly stared up at him, her nose scrunched. "What? You don't like this spot? It's not a bad spot..."
"No, it is not the spot. I am concerned that we are...very exposed here."
"Don't worry! Trae, we'll be fine. My parents used to take me to the beach all the time, when I was little, and no one pays attention to anyone else there, unless they're naked or making a scene. As long as we don't cause trouble, who'll notice?" She gave him a sad look. "Unless you wanna leave..."
Atratus stifled another sigh. They did have beaches in the Rogue Isles...but they were not good for relaxation. The groups that had settled in there were far more stubborn than the gangs in Paragon City, and either fought back, or snuck back in after a short time. Even in St. Martial, which attracted a lot of visitors and tourists, none dared the beaches, as the Wailers were a pervasive problem that even Arachnos couldn't chase off completely. To add insult to injury, even if they were able to clear out enemies, the water was typically too cold for swimming, and the perpetually overcast sky made sunbathing pointless.
Which Harrly had pointed out, when she had told him about her desire to go to the beach. "Trae, it doesn't make any sense to go to the beach here; it isn't fun," she'd said. "Why can't we go somewhere fun?"
"I understand that, love, but...you do realize that going 'somewhere fun' will likely mean 'Paragon City'?" He knew she had bad memories of the City; she still blamed Longbow for the death of her mother, and her father's slow decline into paranoid insanity.
Harrly had chewed her lip, but then looked at him, a determined expression on her face. "Yes. And we're going. And you're gonna win me a giant stuffed animal, and we are gonna have cotton candy and sno-cones and build sandcastles."
He'd given up, after that. He had seen that determined expression enough to know that no combination of words, warnings, or begging would dissuade Harrly from her chosen path. It did not help that she had then chosen to tell him her memories, as a child, of being taken to the beach by her parents, and his fate had been sealed.
~*~
They had settled in the open spot, with Atratus spreading out their beach blanket, and Harrly spreading out a large towel next to it. Harrly was humming as she slathered cocoa butter on her skin, looking surprisingly at ease for being completely exposed in a crowded public area in the middle of Paragon City. In contrast, Atratus was on edge, alert to every movement, aware of any passing glance held longer than a handful of seconds. He had noticed, however, that they were hardly the only metahumans on the beach; he'd spotted several pairs of wings, of various types; a veritable rainbow of different skin tones, and textures not normally found on human skin. He could have sworn one of the other beach-goers, not far from their own spot, had skin made of granite. In comparison, even with his conspicuous black-feathered wings, they did not stand out.
Still, he could feel eyes on him, and children kept slowing down to stare at him with wide-eyed awe. He shifted uncomfortably as a toddler stopped and stared at him with open curiosity, one sticky hand shoved in her mouth. He stared back. She responded by removing the candy-and-saliva-coated digits from her mouth, pointing and flailing at Atratus' wings and squealing, "Bir'man! Bir'man!" Atratus muttered in response, trying to fold his wings closer to his body, and the child's mother quicky dragged her off with a scowl, the toddler wailing the entire time about wanting to pet the 'bir'man'.
"Trae, relax. I mean, have you looked at yourself in a mirror lately?" She giggled. "You are kinda impressive."
"Hmph," he grunted, reaching into their picnic basket for the thermos and glasses. "It is still disconcerting." He poured her a glass of lemonade (she had insisted they bring it), and handed it to her, after she'd settled down on the towel.
She accepted it with a smile of thanks. "I'm gonna nap while I sunbathe. Wake me up before too long; I don't wanna burn too much." She giggled. "Some sunburn is okay, otherwise it's not a good trip to the beach!" He chuckled in response, relaxing a bit, and she pillowed her head on her arms, wriggling as she got comfortable.
He had thought to bring a book, and he reclined on the blanket, tucking his wings behind him carefully. The murmur of the sea, combined with distant chatter and laughter was actually relaxing, and he allowed his guard to drop. The scent of the warm sand and the sea mingled with the sweet smells of cotton candy and funnel cakes, lulling him further into calm relaxation. Perhaps people are on to something, when they say this is a calming endeavor.
It did not last long.
"Hey...look! Isn't that Atratus?"
"Where?!"
"On that blanket over there."
"Wow...yeah! But what's he doing here?"
"Um...sunbathing?"
"Don't be stupid; he's a thief and an assassin! Maybe he's planning to do something cool."
Atratus looked up without lifting his head, peering over the edge of the book. A small cluster of boys, most of them looking to be around 12 years old, had gathered just within earshot and were staring at him with a mixture of awe and trepidation.
"Wow, he looks JUST like his picture on his 'Rogues and Assassins' trading card!"
"Of course he does, dummy; that's his picture on there!"
"But where are his swords? He's never seen without his swords. The card says so."
"I dunno, I don't see them..."
"But that don't make no sense; why would he go unarmed?"
"Dude, seriously? He don't NEED his swords; he's a weapon, himself!"
"Oooh, maybe he's gonna rob a bank! That'd be so cool!"
Harrly chose that moment to reach up and untie the back of her bikini, letting the fabric fall to her sides as she settled down again. The attention of the group was immediately drawn to Harrly.
"Wait, who's he with?"
"I dunno, I don't recognize her. She's hot!"
There was a burst of giggling. "Hey guys...if we poke her, maybe she'll roll over, and..." There was more guffawing, and much elbowing as the group started inching closer.
"Maybe we can startle her...Hey, give me your sno-cone."
"What?! No man, that's mine! Get your own!"
"Yeah, you gonna pass up a chance to see boobs, 'cause you want to keep your sno-cone?"
The group was practically squirming with anticipatory excitement, inching ever closer. Atratus finally peered at the group over the edges of his sunglasses and cleared his throat loudly.
As one, the group looked at him, and realized he was staring at them. Immediately they scattered, yelling and laughing as they ran. He sighed heavily, shaking his head. "I should have brought my swords," he muttered.
Harrly mumbled. "They're just kids, and the sno-cone trick wouldn't have worked, anyway. Calm down, Trae. And I want to see this 'Rogues and Assassins' card of yours."
"I do not know what you are talking about."
"Uh huh. And how come I saw something about trading cards on your NetBay online bidding history?" she giggled.
"I am sure I do not have any idea what you are implying. Perhaps I was seeing if there was such a card for you."
"Mmhmm," she giggled. "I'm sure that's what it was." She flipped over onto her back, deftly holding her bikini top in place. "Hand me a sandwich, will you? Then, you can go get us some sno-cones."
Atratus paused, one hand hovering over the picnic basket. "You will have to re-tie your bikini if we are to--"
"No, I'm staying here; you go get them and bring them back." She peered at him, nose wrinkling. "What, you need help carrying the sno-cones? We only need two. Oooh, and I want mine with cherry, and grape, and lemon, and lime, and...bubble gum! If they have it."
"I was implying that I do not think it wise to leave you here alone..."
She sat up, holding her bikini top to her chest. "Trae. Re. LAX. I told you, nothing's gonna happen! No one is stupid enough to try anything, not with the beach so crowded. And besides, I dunno if you noticed, but I can kinda defend myself, too." She stared at him. "Anyway, we were talking about sno-cones..."
He sighed, reached for his wallet, and got up to find the food vendors.
~*~
"Six dollars for a cup of crushed ice and sugar syrup..." he grumbled. He held a paper cone filled with shaved ice in each hand, one of which was a riot of multicolored syrups. "And an additional dollar for each extra flavor? Bah. And they said that we were thieves..." He wasn't quite sure what to think of the sugared treat. Such things were considered off-limits, by his mother; most of the familiar carnival treats were foreign to him. His initial assessment of the sno-cone was that it was not bad...albeit overpriced.
He was aware of the occasional turned head, as he walked past, along with accompanying whispers, but noted, much to his surprise, that the comments he did manage to overhear were not alarmed recognition of who or what he was. Some commented, with admiration, upon his physique. A few made startled gasps at the map of scars across his chest. And yet others, mostly young women, admired him for reasons that made him focus very hard on his sno-cone and remind himself that he was married, and happily so, but that did not stop others from looking.
Atratus had always stood out; as a threat, as a target, as an enemy...but never as a normal person. Normal, by the standards of most, was a foreign concept to him. Now, he began to relax more, realizing that Harrly had been right; no one paid them any mind, as long as they weren't doing anything to draw attention to themselves.
But when he arrived at their spot on the beach, Harrly was nowhere to be seen. Their spot was not deserted, though; a brutish-looking man, heavily muscled and plated in a very strange set of armor in a pale shade of tan, stood on their beach blanket. The picnic basket was kicked over, sandwiches scattered in the sand, and already attracting the attention of the braver seagulls. He noted that the man had some strange, modified gauntlets that almost looked like tongs, equipped with serrated edges.
He was holding Harrly's bikini top in his hand.
Atratus felt a rush of cold anger, as well as fear, but he tamped it down, stepping closer. "Excuse me," he said icily, "can I help you?"
The behemoth turned slowly, peering at Atratus. "You! VILLAIN!" he shouted, pointing at Atratus with one gauntlet-clad hand. "What are you doing here?!"
"I believe that much is quite obvious," snapped Atratus. "I believe I am visiting the beach, with my wife. Who...or what...are you?"
The man drew himself up to his full height, which wasn't that impressive; he was more squat and short, and his head didn't clear Atratus' chest. "I am the Sand Crab!" he announced, with pride. "And I patrol this portion of the beach, looking for villains and miscreants!"
Atratus just stared. "The...Sand Crab," he said, tone bland. He heard a soft, stifled giggle nearby, and relaxed. He knew Harrly's laugh well; it would stand to reason that she'd hidden herself. "Really."
The Sand Crab flushed, under his armor. "Shut up! Lay off, okay?! D'you know how many heroes are in this town?! How hard it is to find an original name?!"
"I am aware of Paragon City's propensity to attract costumed crime fighters," he replied, his tone clipped. "What I was not aware of was that the same have been extended jurisdiction to harass tourists and visitors, based on the impression that one may be plotting evil deeds."
"Plotting, bah! I know who you are! You're Atratus. The Black Vulture! Scourge of the Swords!" He brandished the fist holding the bikini top. "It doesn't matter if you're planning something or not. You're here, and that's all that matters!"
"What I may, or may not have done in my past is just that: in my past. I have made peace with mine, and have come here for a quiet visit with my wife." His eyes narrowed. "You, however, have made quite a pest of yourself, destroying our property, and..." He nodded at the man's fist. "Stealing my wife's bikini." He raised his eyebrows. "While I am sure the colors are complementary, I do not think you and her wear the same size, as she is quite petite."
"Shut up!" yelled the Sand Crab, although he was flushing redder under his helmet. "She's a criminal, too!"
"Sunbathing is a crime?"
"She's a known criminal!"
"And you obviously tried to...ah, 'apprehend' her in such haste, that she is currently exposed somewhere, without clothing?"
"That doesn't matter! She's a--"
"A criminal, yes, you've made your point. May I ask what she has done today to earn your ire?"
"Well...uh...she..."
"Enough of this nonsense." The scene had begun to gather a crowd, and Atratus was growing irritated. "I do not know what you think I was plotting by being here, or what you possibly think I could accomplish. If I really had made plans to attack your fair city, do you think I would have gone to a very crowded beach, full of witnesses, many of whom would easily be able to identify me, to do it? Not to mention, why would I arrive in no armor or protective gear, instead wearing a bathing suit, and completely unarmed? No. Instead, you have harassed my wife, stolen her clothing, destroyed our
property, and have harassed me with these baseless charges, forcing me to stand here with two sno-cones melting down my arms--which, might I add, cost considerably more than a concoction of shaved ice and sugar syrup has any right to cost. So, what do you have to say for yourself?"
"Aw, c'mon, man," whined the hero. "I haven't had a good lead on a villain in months! This is the best I can do!"
"Harassing civilians? If I am not mistaken, sir, I do believe that your hero's license comes with provisions that strictly restrict harassing any person based on suspicion without due cause. Which you, good sir, do not have. Furthermore, I have worked quite hard to maintain a law-abiding status as a neutral citizen for several years...something else that I believe is protected under city law, and something which I do not doubt a good number of our fellow beach-goers benefit from, a well. I believe, as your heroic role models and leaders so eloquently put it, it is something called...a second chance?"
The crowd surrounding them began to murmur, glancing at Atratus with reservation and respect, and at the Sand Crab with more mutinous glares. The Sand Crab, himself, started to shift uncomfortably from foot to foot. "But...you have that 'Rogues and Assassins' card..."
"That is your criteria for due cause? A trading card? It was created without my knowledge or permission. It is certainly not a 'villainous identification card'. If that was the only criteria for villainy, I believe there would be a great many more villains attacking your city."
"Then how come your wife is hiding, if she's not a villain?"
"Um, because you stole my bikini top, and I don't feel like flashing my boobs to everyone on the beach?" Harrly's disembodied voice came from slightly behind Atratus. "Gimme my bikini top back, you big bully!"
"I'm not a--you're the villain! This is crazy! C'mon!" He whined, looking at the gathered crowd, but they were glaring at him with open disapproval now.
"Sir, I believe you have lost this particular gambit," said Atratus in clipped tones. "I would suggest you return our property, and leave us alone, before we attract the attention of--"
"Halt! Longbow!"
Atratus groaned.
~*~
The sunset across the bay in Independence Port cast dancing patterns of color across the water. Atratus and Harrly disembarked from the tram, and made their way to the submarine platform at the edge of the docks nearby.
He considered that they were both very lucky to leave with their freedom. The Longbow soldiers were inclined to side with the hero...until they got the full story. Harrly had made much of the attack, gleefully telling about how the 'hero' had pounced on her, grabbing for her and snapping up her bikini top, leaving her no choice but to use her powers to go hidden in order to avoid exposing herself to everyone on the beach. She also threw a fuss about the loss of the sno-cones. As for Atratus, many people had approached him after the air had cleared, wanting to shake his hand and congratulate him on his eloquent speech.
"I guess that Crab guy was making a real pest of himself, bullying anyone he thought looked like a villain. Which was quite a few people, most of 'em metas," said Harrly contemplatively as they walked. "Someone was saying lots of people had complained, but Longbow didn't do nothin' 'cause they never caught him in the act." She snorted, rolling her eyes. "Typical Longbow."
She was toting a massive stuffed unicorn, in a lurid shade of pink and purple, so huge, she was nearly obscured by it. Atratus had made good of his promise to win it for her. They had nearly had to buy a special ticket just for the toy, when they'd gotten to the tram station. Harrly was also wearing an "I Got Spanked At Spanky's Boardwalk" tee shirt, since the Sand Crab had shredded her bikini top in his pincher gauntlets during the scuffle, when Longbow tried to arrest him for harassing civilians.
"I am still surprised that they did not haul us in for questioning," commented Atratus. "It has not been so long since we stopped...ah, that line of work."
"Oh, they wanted to," Harrly said, shifting the plush unicorn to her other side. "But lots of eyewitnesses stepped forward to say we weren't doing anything, and when he started bugging us, we didn't try to fight him. I think it was kinda like, "Well, we'll let you go THIS time...", you know?"
"Mm," he grunted, and shifted uncomfortably. There was sand in everything, and he could not tell if that was typical for a visit to the beach, or just a side effect of the altercation with the Sand Crab. "I did not think I would ever see Longbow as...fair. Or merciful."
"They're not. They're just covering their asses and trying to look good. You gained a lot of brownie points, with the other people on the beach." She giggled. "Maybe you'll get more work! I know some of 'em were writing down your name, and they looked like business people, not card collectors."
"Very funny."
Harrly giggled, poking him in the ribs. "Well, I had fun. It's not every day you get to see Longbow arresting a hero, and letting the villains go free."
"I just am grateful that we managed to escape this, ah, adventure without being jailed," he replied. "While it was not the catastrophe I was anticipating, I am glad that we are heading home."
Harrly was silent for a long while. They soon approached the submarine, bobbing gently in the water. They paid the submariner, negotiated space for the huge plush animal, and began making their way across the gangplank to the submarine.
Before they reached the sub, Harrly turned to face him, her face shining with joy in the gathering dusk. "Trae?" she said softly, grabbing one of his hands, clutching the plush animal with her other hand.
"Yes, my love?" he said, smiling at her.
"Let's go to the beach again!"
(no subject)
Date: 2014-07-20 12:29 pm (UTC)I was at first like "woah, bad idea, Harrly", but you did a fine twist and made that Hero (still laughing about that name) looking utterly silly.
It's good to read something about CoX and the characters again. It all looks so far away, but if I re-read the stories, it's still fresh in my mind. Thank you so much for the insight into Traes and Harrly's retirement.
(no subject)
Date: 2014-07-25 02:28 am (UTC)*grins* I tried to pick the silliest name I could, for the hero. Something that wasn't necessarily dirty, in and of itself, but would be hard for anyone to take seriously. XD
I really should get back into the writing habit, for my CoX characters. There's no real reason why I can't; the characters didn't just stop existing when the game closed. If inspiration strikes again, I'll run with it. :) Thanks for reading!
(no subject)
Date: 2014-07-25 08:05 pm (UTC)It would be highly interesting to read what our characters are doing after their life in Paragon. Kin's virtual life goes on in another MMO and I'm tempted to write something about that. Won't be much, but it would be a start to more writing in the future.
(no subject)
Date: 2014-07-24 09:10 pm (UTC)Ahh the memories of hearing that shouted every time Harrly went to make a bank withdrawal. ;)
(no subject)
Date: 2014-07-25 02:07 am (UTC)It must have been because she kept stealing the pens. *nods firmly*
(no subject)
Date: 2014-07-25 05:48 pm (UTC)(no subject)
Date: 2014-07-26 02:35 am (UTC)Harrly a housewife!!! LOL
Gods I miss these guys.
What would happen if she dragged him to Comic-Con?
Heroes and Villains, and fanboys/girls.
Costumes and crowds.
Vendors and thieves...
Hmmm...
(no subject)
Date: 2014-09-09 03:38 am (UTC)Bwahaha, now I want to write a fic where Harrly drags Trae to Comicon, and they "accidentally" uncover A Plot...after much shenanigans...hmmmmm...
(no subject)
Date: 2014-10-17 10:56 am (UTC)